Counseling in Eugene School District 4j
Eugene School District 4j has made a commitment to counseling within the 4j schools. As of the 2016-2017 school year, every school has an individually tailored counseling program which includes:
- Learning to LIVE (Personal/Social): Includes skills, knowledge and attitudes that prepare students to build, maintain and nurture relationships with others, and to survive and prosper in an increasingly complex world.
- Learning to LEARN (Academic): Includes skills, knowledge and attitudes to participate fully in formal school curriculum, achieve high academic standards, acquire relevant technical skills, demonstrate proficiency in Essential Skills and be a lifelong learner.
- Learning to WORK (Career): Includes skills, knowledge and attitudes that prepare students to plan their education and career paths, and manage their careers and work life through personal transitions and economic change.
- Learning to CONTRIBUTE (Community Involvement): Includes skills, knowledge and attitudes that prepare students to be involved community members and citizens.
Counseling at Spencer Butte
Our hope for students at Spencer Butte is to have a happy, healthy and positive middle school experience. We hope to help each student grow both academically and personally, empowering them to move on to high school with a better understanding of themselves, as well as preparing them to be productive members of the community with the skills and confidence to pursue their life goals and dreams.
How do you access the counselor?
- Email: Albright_m@4j.lane.edu
- Phone: 541.790.8300
- Fax: 541.790.8305 (Please note it is not a confidential fax number.)
- Notes: Drop a note to our counselor by putting it in her school mailbox.
- Appointments: Appointments can be scheduled via email, phone or note.
All students at Spencer Butte have access to the counselor. Below are some of the services they can access:
- Individual academic, career and personal planning and guidance
- Social skills mentoring
- Student advocacy
- Staff liaison for students on educational support plans
- Transitioning skills for students moving from elementary to middle school and from middle school to high school
- Small groups sessions (topics change depending on the need)
- Mediation between individuals (friends, students and teachers, students and families, etc.)
- Referrals for families in need of additional supports in the community
Topics up for discussion
Below is a list of topics that can be discussed with the school counselor. This is not a comprehensive list, just some examples.
- Academic concerns
- Grief and Loss
- Sexuality and Gender Identity
- Bullying & Harassment
- Cyber Safety
- Abuse and Neglect
- Self Harm
- Career and College Readiness
- Class placements
- Peer Pressure
- Drugs and Alcohol
- School Choice
- Pregnancy and STIs
- Eating Disorders and Nutrition
- Brain Injuries
- School supports
- Many others
Other services our counselor provides at Spencer Butte
- Co-facilitatation of the Gay Straight Alliance
- Facilitatation of the mentoring program
- Student Council sponsor
- Assistance with the AVID program
- Student intervention strategies