SPENCER BUTTE SPARTAN UPDATE
November 16, 2018
Nov. 22 & 23 NO SCHOOL – Thanksgiving Holiday
Nov. 27 5:30pm Choir Café Night
Nov. 30 6:00pm Family Bingo Night
Dec. 3 NO SCHOOL – Trimester Grading
Dec. 4 Second Trimester Begins
Dec. 4 7:45am Site Council Meeting
Dec. 13 7:00pm Advanced Band Concert
Dec. 14 6:00pm – 8:00pm Dance/Activity Night
Dec. 24 – Jan. 4 NO SCHOOL – Winter Break
Jan. 7 NO SCHOOL – Professional Development
Jan. 8 Classes Resume
Jan. 21 NO SCHOOL – MLK Day
HOMEWORK CLUB ATTENDANCE RULES
Just a reminder to parents (and students) that our homework club is designed for students who have work that will keep them on task for the entire period of time. We’ve had many students either come with no work to complete, or finish homework within minutes of arriving and then have trouble staying on task. Please remind your student that homework club is a place designed to help those that most likely would not receive help elsewhere and we strive to focus our efforts on helping those students. If a student is simply waiting for a ride, they may do so in the lobby. If your student normally walks or rides a bike home, a good choice is to submit a note to advisor Jennifer Kotlarek (firstname.lastname@example.org) giving permission for them to leave once they have finished their work. This is also a good incentive plan to encourage efficient use of time. We appreciate your help with this so our homework club can remain a positive work space for all students.
FAMILY BINGO NIGHT – PLEASE COME
On November 30th, Spencer Butte Middle School will be hosting our Family BINGO Night. We will start at 6:00 with an all you can eat taco bar dinner that costs $1.00 per person. BINGO games will begin at 7:00, costing 25 cents per card or 5 for a dollar. Many local businesses have donated gift cards for BINGO prizes. It is sure to be a fun night!!
Winter weather is on its way! Here is some key information families need to know. When hazardous weather is a concern, decisions regarding schedule changes are made in the early morning, before school, when current weather conditions can be assessed. Decisions are made districtwide and are the same for every 4J school.
Our main concern is the safety of our students and staff. We also believe students and families are best served when schools are open. We will always do our best to make the best decision possible, taking into account all of the factors.
How To Find Out: If there is a change in the school schedule or bus routes, it will be announced in several ways, all normally before 6:30 a.m., including:
- District website: A notice will be posted on this website’s homepage, www.4j.lane.edu.
- District social media: A notice will be posted on the following social media channels:
- Facebook page: www.facebook.com/4Jschools
- Twitter accounts: @4Jschools and @4Jweather
- Text-message alerts will be sent to Twitter subscribers who follow 4JWeather AND have their mobile phone number attached to their account.
- Local news media will share closure or delay information on their websites and broadcasts.
NO NEWS = NO CHANGE. If there is a change in the school schedule or bus routes due to inclement weather, Eugene School District 4J will announce the change. On days when school is in session and on regular schedule, DO NOT expect the district to make an announcement. Parents of students who ride school buses that sometimes use snow routes have been informed of what to do when snow routes are in effect. Snow route information is available on the snow routes page. LTD buses may also be delayed or detoured when there is ice or snow on the ground. Detour information will be posted on the LTD website, www.ltd.org, and publicized to local news media.
SEHS JAZZ ENSEMBLE
Curious about what music opportunities are available at South? Here is a great opportunity to see The SEHS Jazz Ensemble! You’re invited to the Jazz Station for an evening of great music with the South Eugene Jazz Ensemble! Tuesday, November 20 from 7:30 – 9 PM at the Jazz Station, 124 W. Broadway, Eugene, OR
The cost: $7 at the door. Proceeds support the non-profit Jazz Station and the South Eugene Band program
Launched in 2005, the Jazz Station is an all-ages community performance venue with a great listening space and relaxed vibe. Beverages available for purchase.
SOUTH VALLEY REGION WRESTLING OPPORTUNITY
- Wrestling is open to boys and girls from grades K-8. It’s a great way to build strength, coordination, work ethic, self-confidence, and self-defense skills.
- Practices are Mondays/Wednesdays in the South Eugene High School wrestling room from 6:15-7:15 pm starting November 12th and going through the first week of January.
- The cost to participate is $65, which includes a t-shirt– competition entries are $5 each and are optional.
- We can work on a sliding scale with families where cost is an issue.
- The league is oriented towards first and second year wrestlers, and competition is organized by age and weight class. This is a great environment for beginners!
- More information is available at https://www.orwayvalleywrestling.org or on facebook: ORWAY South Valley Region